Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh, and one more thing....


Winter is coming. Again. I'm in the midst of figuring out what I want to do when I can't go outside. A friend of mine sent me a note asking if this might work with his mountain bike. I replied that he should take the bike out instead. He wrote back to ask what to do when it gets cold. "Buy some warm clothes" I responded.
"Wow. You're anti-trainer aren't you?" he replied.

I hadn't thought about it before, but now that he mentions it, yes, I am anti-trainer. I tried a trainer for one winter several years ago and promptly sold it. I don't like staring at the TV or out the window while I spin endlessly like a hamster. Not to be too cliché, but I have to feel the wind on my face. "Yes," I answered him finally, "its not for me but the Fluid2 is a very nice machine."

What's for me? Riding year-round. All it takes is some weather-specific clothes. My plan for the winter is the same as the rest of the year: I work out in the basement when I can't get out; go to the gym when I can't ride; and ride the rest of the time.

Understand that I'm not a serious health nut. I like to be outside. I like to stay in shape if for nothing else but my family's sake. I don't race, I don't want to look like The Rock, and have no desire to crush the competition. I just want to have fun, live a little longer, and keep trim. I want my kids to have fun. I want them to see how exercise is the fifth food group.

If my kids want to go out and crush the competition that's fine with me. I'm getting old and I can't burn up the road like I used to. I'm looking forward to the day when they can outride me, out-lift me, out-play me. I hope they pick a warm day.

No comments: